Head of Radio Cadena Voces flees the country in fear of his life

first_img December 28, 2020 Find out more November 2, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Head of Radio Cadena Voces flees the country in fear of his life HondurasAmericas RSF_en Receive email alerts Some of the radio’s journalists told the organisation that they had been intimidated and received death threats. The journalist Edgardo Escoto received a threatening call on his mobile phone a month ago while he was covering a funeral. “If you carry on pissing us off we will bury you like this,” an unknown voice told him.The president told the radio’s correspondent at the presidency, Carolina Torres, in September that he would no longer give her interviews. “You spend your time criticising me,” he said. “If I was Hugo Chávez, I would have had this radio shut down a long time ago.” The government recently accused media owners of blackmail to obtain public favours, but without giving any details about the nature of the “blackmail”. The media has criticised Manuel Zelaya’s frequents trips and his attempts to control the press. The press has also exposed a number of cases of corruption, which led to a murder attempt and a suspension of his programme against Geovanny García, journalist on Canal 13 television on 7 September. RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Organisation Reports April 27, 2021 Find out more 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies The director of Radio Cadena Voces (RCV), Dagoberto Rodríguez, left Honduras with his family yesterday after a police warning that hit-men had been hired to kill him.It came two weeks after a very popular journalist on the radio, Carlos Salgado, presenter of the satirical programme “Black Bean the terrible”, was shot dead in front of the radio’s studios.Rodriguez told Reporters Without Borders, “Police officers came to see me at RCV on 29 October to warn me not to leave the station because they had learned that hired killers were planning to find and kill me within 72 hours”.“I immediately contacted the Human Rights Commission which sent trusted people to protect me. I never thought I would have to leave my country like this. Journalism is the only thing I know. I am afraid and I feel sad, because in the past 24 hours my life has taken an unthinkable turn,” he added.Even before receiving the police warning, Dagoberto Rodríguez had realised that his car was being systematically followed. A suspect has been arrested in connection with the 18 October murder of Carlos Salgado, but sources within the Prosecutor’s Office suggested that there was no evidence to justify charging Germán David Almendárez, who was picked up on 27 October.RCV is highly critical of the government of President Manuel Zelaya and many of its journalists have been harassed and intimidated.——–30.10 – Suspect in radio journalist’s murder arrested, released and then re-arrestedGermán David Almendárez Amador was arrested for the second time on 28 October on suspicion of fatally shooting journalist and comedian Carlos Salgado of Radio Cadena Voces on 18 October. Aged 29, Almendárez had been arrested two days before but was released a few hours later for lack of evidence.A 9 mm pistol believed to be the murder weapon was found in one of Almendárez’s homes. After he was arrested the first time, the Judicial Office for Common Crimes (Fiscalía de Delitos Comunes) ordered his released on the grounds that the documentary evidence submitted by the police was imprecise and insufficient, and had been altered.This decision was strongly criticised by the police and the public prosecutor’s office, which ordered an investigation into the procedure followed by the fiscalía. According to police records, Almendárez committed two crimes in 2002.———19.10 – Murder of journalist and radio presenter whom government had in its sightsReporters Without Borders today expressed revulsion at the murder of Carlos Salgado, a satirical journalist on Radio Cadena Voces (RCV), who was shot dead yesterday in Tegucigalpa. Several members of staff at the radio, which was highlycritical of the government, had recently been threatened.“The murder of Carlos Salgado confirms the deterioration in press freedom in Honduras (87th in Reporters Without Borders world press freedom rankings). The worsening and terrible climate between the government of Manuel Zelaya and the media unfortunately contributes to this situation,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.“We expect the authorities, whom we can’t hold directly responsible for the journalist’s death, to carry out a prompt investigation into the facts. We also call on them to show greater tolerance of media criticism,” the organisation addedCarlos Salgado, nicknamed “Frijol el terrible”(black bean the terrible), which was also the name of his comedy and news programme, was ambushed by two gunmen in a truck who fired seven shots at him as he left the studios of RCV and was about to cross a road. He was killed instantly.Director of RCV, Dagoberto Rodríguez said the highly popular presenter had not apparently received any death threats. ”We cannot point to who was responsible, but it should not be forgotten that there is a conflictual relationship between Radio Cadena Voces and the government,” he said. He told Reporters Without Borders that the attack was clearly aimed at the radio. Follow the news on Honduras News to go further News RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America May 13, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information HondurasAmericas last_img read more

Read More »

Ombudsman finds no evidence of PSNI negligence in 2009 Coleraine death

first_img Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry WhatsApp 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Pinterest By admin – November 12, 2015 Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal John Dallat Facebook Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Twitter Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Ombudsman finds no evidence of PSNI negligence in 2009 Coleraine death Twitter Google+ Google+ The police ombudsman in the North has found no evidence to support concerns that police did not intervene to stop a sectarian attack in Coleraine in which a man later died.Kevin McDaid died after he was attacked outside his home in May 2009. A number of people were also injured in the attack.Michael Maguire also said he had found no evidence that police officers had earlier texted loyalists in an attempt to inflame tensions in the town.However, local MLA John Dallat says while he accepts that police acted in good faith on the day, serious mistakes were made which contributed to what happened, and he believes they should have been referenced in the report to ensure that they are not repeated………..Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/jdallcoleraine.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Homepage BannerNews Previous articleGAA Programme – 11/11/15Next articleHSE urged to take over Aras Gweedore to ensure its future viability admin Pinterest Facebook 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North last_img read more

Read More »

Palace: Metro Manila ready for GCQ shift

first_imgMANILA – The National Capital Region (NCR) is ready for further easing of restrictions to curb the spread of SARS-coV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)“NCR is ready based on the data we have seen, but we need the cooperation of everyone,” Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a virtual press conference. “Nakikita nating datos ay bumagal ang doubling rate.” “Nakapaghanda naman po tayo ng mas maraming lugar kung saan natin ico-confine ang mga asymptomatic patients dito sa Manila,” he added.Based on the Inter Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) Resolution No. 40, which is pending for President Rodrigo Duterte’s approval, Metro Manila may be downgraded to GCQ after almost two months under ECQ.Roque said that it will be up to the local government units, in coordination with the IATF EID, to decide on implementing localized lockdowns in their areas.Under the GCQ, “high-risk” barangays that will log more than two new cases of new COVID-19 in a seven-day monitoring will be deemed “critical zones.” Entry and exit will be barred in these areas, where patients will be isolated and their close contacts will be tested for the coronavirusEssential and clothing stores in malls will be opened, while leisure and dine-in restaurant services are still barred. MRT, LRT, taxis and tricycles with one passengers will also be allowed./PNlast_img read more

Read More »